Many people are anxious about visiting the dentist; for some, dental phobia can be a serious problem. But with the right dentist helping and supporting you, it’s a problem that can be easily overcome.
Being afraid of the dentist is not uncommon, so don’t worry about being alone. We treat lots of patients who have a phobia about coming to the dentist. A phobia is an irrational fear, and we’re here to help cure that fear. At 32Whites John, Peter and Shweta have built up many years’ experience treating people who are nervous about visiting the dentist, or are scared about dental treatments.
No matter how intense your phobia is, we can help you overcome it. We’ll reduce your fears, explain all our processes, and make you feel completely relaxed and at home in our practice.
What are the causes of dental phobia?
There are a number of different reasons why people can develop unreasonable fears of the dentist. Understanding these causes is the key to addressing them. They may include:
- Negative experiences – whether it’s an old childhood memory, or bad experiences you’ve heard about from friends, these negative images can cloud your own perception of the dentist
- Fear of sounds and smells – the traditional sounds and smells associated with the dentist can instil fear instantly in many patients, even though they’re all completely normal
- The lack of control – when you’re sat in the dentist’s chair, you may feel out of control, even though you can tell a dentist to stop any time you want
- Embarrassment – if you haven’t been to the dentist for a number of years, you may be embarrassed about the look of your teeth, but this could worsen any existing problems
- Pain – just talking about treatments can be painful to some patients, and the fear of injections is enough to keep them away
Should I be afraid of the dentist?
Absolutely not! There’s no reason at all to be scared of visiting the dentist. The reality of dental treatments is completely different from what you might imagine. Practices have likely changed in many ways since your last visit, and, at 32Whites, you may not even recognise our reception and waiting room as a dentists at all!
If you do not visit the dentist regularly, you could end up with all kinds of mouth problems and teeth complications. Living with dental issues like gum disease, mouth ulcers and tooth decay can also lead to all kinds of health problems.
How 32Whites can ease your fears
We completely understand dental phobias, and we’re here to help you 100%. All you need to do is take the first step and trust us. We’ll walk you through every stage of the process as slowly as you need to go, addressing all of your concerns and fears whenever needed.
Dr John Mantel is a Dental Phobia Certified dentist. Click here to verify. The certification is only awarded to those who have experience helping patients overcome their fears, as you’ll see from our Patient Testimonials.
All you need to do first is come down and visit us. Take a look around our practice and have a chat with anyone you like. We’re more than happy to show you how cheerful and happy everyone is, and talk to you about how we’ll take extra special care of your needs.
We’ll make sure any treatments you need are pain-free, and we can even offer special sedation treatment, to help you relax and visit the dentist without any worry.
We have a patient promise that we always follow:
- We will ensure we are always at the leading edge in techniques and treatments available
- We will always do our very best never to let you down
- We will never judge you
- We promise to always be open and honest with you
- We will listen to you
- We will treat you with care and kindness
Don’t panic about visiting the dentist. There’s no need to worry or get upset at 32Whites. Overcome any oral health problems you might have, and restore confidence to your smile today!